Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day 131: October 9, 2009 (you won't get me next time)

Position: Driver
Number of Deliveries: 12
Sales: $453.27
Tips: $62
Hours: 4.13
Total Wage: $23.01 per hour

Halfway through the night, I'm delivering to a house in Fairbanks, and a handsome Mediterranean looking man in his late 30s answers the door. I instantly get the What did you do to earn so much money? feeling. He asks me how much he owes, and I tell him. But he's not really paying attention, because he's talking to his kids, taking the food, and messing with the money in his hands all at the same time. He tells me he needs to get more money, and yells to his wife, I assume, that he needs more money. He turns around and asks again how much he owes, and I tell him, "Forty-fifty-eight." 

"Oh, I've got that," he says, pulling out two twenties and three ones, emptying his hands. And, realizing his tip sucks, he says the lamest thing on a long list of lame things you can ever say to a pizza man: "I'll get you on the next go round, then." I've never delivered to this house before, and I don't assume I ever will again. I'm no statistician, but we have eighteen delivery drivers, and the odds of me getting his next order are slim. I probably have better odds of winning the lottery if I buy two tickets and a gum ball with his crappy tip. On the outside chance I do deliver to his house several months from now, what is the likelihood he'll remember bending me over the tip barrel? I will definitely remember him. The one getting screwed always remembers.

No comments:

Post a Comment