Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day 181: November 29, 2009 (dealing with mistakes on both ends)

Position: Driver
Number of Deliveries: 11
Sales: $427.86
Tips: $70
Total Wage: $25.81 per hour

On my last delivery run of the night, I deliver to a nice man in The Farms. The bill is $32.03, so he hands me two twenties and asks for three dollars in change. I thank him for the five dollar tip, jump in the car, back up, and am almost out of the driveway when he comes hopping out the front door in his socks, yelling, "Hey. Hello?" 

Now, as a driver I can tell you I don't want to deal with mistakes. No drivers do. First, there isn't much we can do about it. If we forget a salad or a dessert, sure, we can take it off the bill at the door or tell them we'll send it right out. At the other extreme, I've known drivers who have dumped a pizza and still presented it at the door as perfect, and then split before the unsuspecting customer can discover the mess, which usually looks like regurgitated pizza. That's not cool. But, as a general rule, after the delivery is complete, you get out of there as quickly as possible.

The man in the socks special ordered one of his pastas with penne instead of the usual spaghetti noodles, and he added eight shrimp. When he came outside hollering, I assumed the pasta type was wrong, or he counted the shrimp and there were only seven. I'm half-tempted to pretend I don't hear or see him. When he gets closer to the car at the end of the driveway, he says, "I wanted to give you a couple more dollars." He holds out some folded ones. I take them, and give him elated thanks. While I'm driving away, I unfold the money to see he's given me all three ones back. While paying me, I heard his wife in the background asking how much it was. I think she shamed him into tipping me the other three dollars. Thank God for generous wives; I hope there are nine shrimp in her pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment